Monday, September 29, 2008

A Quick Hello

Well, I’m back from Baltimore. Tired from the drive, tired from the (pouring, unrelenting) rain, tired from the money spending, but I’m back. I’m taking today off from work in order to fully recover, so this post is going to be on the short side as I waste the day away doing not much more than lying down. Not to fear, though, as I will return soon with a more in-depth Con Report...and an update on the status of my White Whale hunt.

But, for today, a quick trip overview is in order.

I left on Thursday with great and wondrous plans for my long-awaited vacation trip of baseball, comics, and museums. Being a huge baseball fan, it has been a goal of mine for the past decade or so to attend a game at Camden Yards, where the Orioles play. I bought tickets in July for one game (Friday night) and I fully planned on purchasing tickets at the gate for the Saturday and Sunday night games, as well.

Mother Nature had something to say about all that, though.

The forecast when I left said rain. Then, when I got there, the forecast changed to a possible Nor’easter. Rain, winds, floods, all the good stuff. It wasn’t quite that bad, but, well...rain it did. It poured Thursday night into Friday morning, and I said to myself there was no way they would play a game that night.

The weather stayed cloudy and dreary and awful all day Friday, but somehow the rain held up, and by 5:00 I was at the ballpark watching the Orioles take batting practice while eating the best bar-b-que turkey sandwich I’ve had in my life from Oriole great Boog Powell’s world famous BBQ pit.

By the time the first pitch was thrown at 7:00, there was a slight drizzle in the air, but the temperature was pleasant enough, and I was just really digging watching a baseball game for the first time all year with my family. Camden Yards is by far the most fan-friendly park I’ve been to, and the entire experience was just perfect.

We sat happily in great seats until the 7th inning, when the rain returned...with a vengeance. The tarp came out on the field, and the players never came back. The game was called shortly thereafter, but that was OK—I had a great time.

It poured all night, and into Saturday, and here’s where I’m gonna stop this post. I’ll be back tomorrow or Wednesday with more on my trip and (for you comics fans) lots of stuff on the Con. Oh, and I’ll have some pictures to post, as well!

No comments: